Majority of us get excited when it comes to travelling. We love to visit different places, to explore different culture and food. We find our journeys more exciting than the destination. But, flying in general is quite stressful as we have to think about a lot of things at the same time. Thus, many things can go wrong. And the most common one is, weight limit!
Baggage weight is a significant issue when we go by air. If by any chance we go over the limit, we have to face some extra charges or last-minute mess. Sometimes, we have to leave our essential things to the airport. Who wishes for that? Such experiences we don’t want before the flight. But, imagine each time you keep weighing your luggage. How boring and time-consuming it is!
How to Weigh Luggage without a Scale?
Imagine you are all set for leaving to the airport and couldn’t find the weighing machine or the scale. Also, you can’t take the risk to go to the airport without the measurement. What will you do? Here are a few tips and tricks which can help you to estimate the weight of your luggage without a scale. So even if you don’t have scales around you, the weight doesn’t exceed.
1. You can make your weighing device.
Yes, you read it right! You can measure your luggage all by yourself. There is a straightforward weighing device by using readily available household objects. This technique can become an alternative weighing method for weight measurement.
- Collect some objects which weights are known to you.
- One litre is equal to 1 kilogram. So, take a bottle filled with 1 litre of liquid.
- Take another container and collect your items. Put them into a plastic bag or pillow cover.
- Lift the water bottle in one hand and your luggage on the other side.
- Try to observe both the weights and decide for yourself.
- You have to divide your luggage and repeat the process several times.
- Write down all the weights together and get the final figure.
This process may take a lot of time. So, it doesn’t work in emergencies. But if you don’t have a scale or anything else which can help you in weighing, then this idea can work.
2. Weighing Luggage With a Bathroom Scale
After deciding the airline, find out the general rules for your luggage weight. It depends on the airline, so it is important to check each time you travel! Go to the airline’s website and search for the “baggage” option to know the rules.
- Set the bathroom scale in an open area and flat surface. There should not be any lumps on the surface.
- First, weigh yourself. Get on the scale and note down your exact weight.
- Now get down and pick up the bag you have to carry. Get up on the scale again with the pack.
- Wait for a few seconds so that the scale can settle up and write down the figure.
- You know what the next step is. Now you have to subtract the initial weight from the weight holding the luggage.
- Compare the weight with the airline’s baggage rules and restrictions. Add or remove the items from the bag if needed and weigh again.
If your baggage is too heavy and you think that you might not hold it, ask your friend to do this task. Apart from that, you have to keep in mind that you should not add anything to the luggage after weighing. It may vary the accuracy.
Buy a Handheld Scale
Here is an obvious answer: go to the store and buy a scale. Get a handheld scale which you can carry anywhere. A handheld scale is a hook on which you can pop your luggage and measure the baggage weight. This is the best way to stop over-weighing the luggage.
So these are the few ideas you can use to make sure that your luggage does not exceed the highest limit. If you are unable to follow any of the routine mentioned above; there are some places where you can weigh your luggage for free. You can find large industrial sized scales for public use in some lobbies of local post offices. Such scales provide an accurate value of the weight. It can offer you some time to get rid of some extra weight.
Also, many airports have scales that allow passengers to weigh their luggage before check-in. Reach early to the airport so that you can complete the weighing process before going to the check-in counter.
Always have a weighing scale around to reduce such last-minute tensions. And in case if you don’t manage to have a scale, at least try to learn how you can weigh your luggage without a scale. You will never know when it helps you the way you haven’t imagine. So always stay up for the new trips with such tips and tricks.